Acclaimed for its innovative staging, whimsical costumes, original music and boundless good cheer, the delightfully festive, musically merry stage adaptation by Geoff Elliott of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol returns to A Noise Within this holiday season from Dec. 3-23.
Now in its 10th year, A Noise Within’s production has become an annual tradition for many Southland families.
“It’s very visual and highly theatrical,” says director Julia Rodriguez-Elliott, who co-directs alongside Elliott. “Each of the worlds Scrooge visits has a very specific feel to it. By the end, both adults and younger audiences feel as if they’ve gone on an incredible journey.”
Unlike most stagings of Dickens’ famous story, Elliot’s adaptation remains scrupulously faithful to the source material.
“It’s unique because it’s 100 percent Dickens,” he explains. “A Christmas Carol is probably the greatest story of transformation and forgiveness that has ever been written in the English language, and all of the words in our production are right out of the novel — we haven’t added a single one.”
• Saturday, Dec. 3, at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.
• Sunday, Dec. 4, at 2 p.m.
• Friday, Dec. 9, at 7 p.m.
• Saturday, Dec. 10,at 11 a.m. (Relaxed Performance) and 2 p.m.
• Sunday, Dec. 11, at 2 p.m.
• Thursday, Dec. 15, at 7 p.m.
• Friday, Dec. 16,at 7 p.m.
• Saturday, Dec. 17, at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.
• Sunday, Dec. 18, at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.
• Wednesday, Dec. 21, at 2 p.m.
• Thursday, Dec. 22, at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.
• Friday, Dec. 23,at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.
A Noise Within
3352 E Foothill Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91107
• Tickets start at $25
• Student tickets start at $18
• Friday, Dec. 9: Pay What You Choose starting at $5 (available online beginning the Monday prior to that performance)
• Discounts available for groups of 10 or more
• Appropriate for ages 5 and up (babies and toddlers not permitted)
• Running time: 90 minutes, no intermission
• The 11 a.m. matinee on Saturday, Dec. 10 will be a sensory-friendly ‘Relaxed Performance’ offering audiences a shorter run time; freedom to talk and move around the theater during the performance; reduced lighting and sound effects; designated activity/relaxation spaces for those who need a break; and trained staff available to assist patrons throughout the event. More information available at www.anoisewithin.org/relaxedperformances.
Click here to watch the promo trailer.
TICKETS AND MORE INFORMATION
Photo credit: Geoff Elliott as Scrooge / Photos by Craig Schwartz